Sunday, February 20, 2011

What it all boils down to...

The big question everybody has been asking me is, why do you want to leave Texas?

Well, for the record, we never came here to stay. It was always temporary. I never, ever dreamed I would make a family here like I did. I never imagined the amazing kinds of people I would meet and want to have close to me forever. Needless to say, Texas was just something we had to do. We are glad we did, we will never regret the choice to come out here.

That said, it's been hard explaining to people why we need to leave. I don't have a bad life here, at all. Economically, for us, Texas is cheaper than NY. I often say it's because Bill isn't happy - all he does here is work. And while that is true, it's not the whole picture.

And it's not just to get back to the amazing family I made for myself in that wonderful little place I called home in upstate NY. Oh, believe me, it's a BIG, BIG part. Enormous. But they, too, are just part of the big picture.

While in the shower just now, it came to me, what the big question all boils down to. And here it is: When I ask my boys, "Which park do you want to go to today?" I DON'T want the response to be, "The one by the McDonald's that has a rocket ship playground." I want it to be more like, "The one with the tree that looks like a scarecrow when it's leaves fall off," or "The one with the lake that's shaped like Mickey Mouse's head." Also, I really want to ask them, "Which mountain should we climb this weekend?"

(For my Texas readers, where I come from in upstate NY, the mountains are very, very old and not very big...not most of them, anyway. Many can be "climbed" (walked/hiked) in an afternoon.) Oh man...I miss them so much....

I digress.

So there it is. I know I have not written much lately. Life is a bit of a whirlwind just now. Balancing out financial ruin against spiritual happiness isn't as easy as it sounds. I will fill you in as thing progress. For now, all I can say is, let happiness prevail!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. We are a couple months ahead of you on a VERY similar journey and I can say that we are already finding confirmation that we made the right decision. We are finding it in little things nearly every day. As homesick as I get at times for my friends in Texas, I am meeting incredible women here....and our whole family is more relaxed......I wish you and your family a SMOOTH transition....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are just such an amazing person, Britt... I cant wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could not agree with you more! That's how I feel about Seattle. Everyone was active and we always went camping, hiking, biking, etc. There just isn't the same lifestyle opportunities here. But I have to admit I haven't been the best about seeking them out either.

    ReplyDelete