Sunday, August 5, 2012

Best summer ever

I don't know how to explain it and I don't know exactly what it is, but this is the best summer I have had in a long, long time.  Maybe it's because we are back in NY.  Maybe it's because we found this perfect little house.  Maybe it's because after so many years of uncertainty, things are finally falling into place.  Sure, I don't have a job yet, but no matter what happens, we will be in this house, climbing the same trees, breathing the same air, sleeping in the same beds...I feel centered.  Rooted.

After returning from Norway, we have been busy, busy, busy with all the fun things you associate with summer in the country.  Two days off the plane, the boys and I headed off to MONSTER JAM at the local race track.  Liam's face pretty much says it all.  I did not expect how much fun we would have watching monster trucks soar through the air.


The tires are bigger than Finny!!!!

In case you didn't know, the headlights are STICKERS!!!  Who knew???

Finn had 'ear muffs.' It was quite loud.

 Our next summer adventure took us to the Jersey Shore.  My dad, stepmom, and some siblings were in town.  We had a dinner picnic on the beach and enjoyed some live music from Chuckie and Mira.  It was an amazing night.

My gorgeous brother.

My beautiful stepmama and handsome dad.

Chuck and Mira

Sunset
Moving right along.  We were going to go camping this weekend, however headaches and lack of planning intervened.  Instead, we began some hardcore potty training with Finn AND building a tree house.  Below is the path we made.  The spot we chose is set back and we had to make a path through one of the stone walls running through our property.  The path is quite long and winding and I feel like it makes our woods SUPER cool.  Bill and I started thinking of clearing little walking paths all over the 'grounds.' (Yeah, we have grounds, people....well 5 acres, enough for us and a couple of paths.)  :p


Here is the gracious tree we chose.  I have to tell you, it has been a life long dream to have/build a tree house like the one we are currently erecting.  One of the first things i imagined when I saw this property was the tree house.  And Bill...sweet, dear Bill.  He could have done anything with his three days off...and in 82 degree heat with nearly 100% humidity, he diligently went to Home Depot each morning to buy a day's worth of wood.  All I could do was hold beams in place as he drilled and wrenched and hammered.  I wish I was more helpful....

The picture below is just the beginning of the frame and I am sure it will be a good year before we are truly finished. But, by next week we should have the floor and a railing finished and perhaps a couple of entry points.



Finally, our parsley has been taken over by caterpillars that will be some kind of black swallowtail butterflies.  When they first arrived, I suggested to Bill that we move them to another part of the yard, but apparently they ONLY eat parsley.  Or they will die.  So, I have decided to pardon the pillars and give up our parsley.  They have eaten nearly all of it in three days and doubled in size.  It's kind of neat.
As for my 'other' garden, the big one.  It's doing okay.  The carrots seem to be growing great...their orange tips teasing us in the dirt...just enough to let us know there's a carrot under there, but now clue as to how big...I'm told I just have to wait.  We have cucumbers and tomatoes.  We've eaten a bunch of beets and anxiously await the rest that are getting bigger each day under my rocky soil.  The green beans and peas didn't really take off.  Enough to each a few as we water the garden, never enough for a meal - I will rectify that next year.  Even though some thing didn't work out, it's fun to see what happens and make plans for next year's garden.

Also this summer, my best friend had her fourth baby, my mother in law is coming for a week long visit, and we end the summer with a big birthday celebration at the beach.  My happiness for all the good things that have happened and to come is effervescent.  Does that make sense?  It fills me with a bubbly, overflowing sensation...effervescent, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment