Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sack of potatoes...

When I was a little girl my dad would sometimes swing me up over his shoulder (often near bedtime) and exclaim that he was hauling up a "sack of potatoes."  When I think back on that time, a more accurate description would have been "a few stalks of corn" or "a firm pillow."  I bring this up to illustrate something I did today...

I was up on the tree house with the boys this afternoon - Bill finished the floor yesterday, so that was very exciting to test out.  The tree is on a small incline, so from one corner Liam likes to jump off as it's only about 4 or 5 feet.  Well...I thought to myself from that corner, "Hmmm, that doesn't look so far.  I'm still young and brave, I should jump down."  Yes, I thought these things...while the more seasoned part of my brain...or body...was whispering fiercely, but with not quite enough conviction, "You really shouldn't do this, you are not in shape, you are not as young as you think...."

I jumped.

I imagined I would land on my feet.  I did not.  On the bright side, Finn, from the tree house floor said, "Good jump, Mommy."

Anyway, talk about a sack of potatoes..or, more accurately three and a half 50 pound sacks.  NOT pretty, my friends, not pretty.  The thud...perhaps THAT was the quaking many folks around Albany felt around 5 p.m. today.  The ground, soft with moist dirt and fallen leaves, did not feel soft at all.  And now, four hours later, I am sore.

So yeah.  That happened today.

Let me leave you with some fun photos from the Cub Scout camp out Liam and I enjoyed this past Friday. It was very chilly but perfect in every other way.

What could be better than roasting weenies over the fire???  Yeah, I said weenies - no need to stifle your giggles...unless you are a man and at work, that might be embarrassing.

 GLOW NECKLACES AND SMORES!!!!!!!!!  WA-HOOOOO!!!!!

 This popcorn catching game was as fun as it was dangerous - open pan of hot oil in a crowd of 8 year old boys...hmmm...

My handsome boy


Mummifying our boys was a lot of fun.


 Liam and Eli tossing hoops around pumpkins.  Anyone attending our pumpkin part will get to play this game.

Good, old fashioned Tug-O-War.  Boy, did they love that!!

Good times with my Cub Scout buddies.  It was a great time.

Well, now it's time to drag my sore muscles back over to the oven.  I am making granola for the first time and it needs to be stirred every 30 minutes for the next hour and a half.  Nighty night.

No comments:

Post a Comment