Thursday, November 11, 2010

Do you remember 4 months ago?

If you are a busy mom, probably not. Four months ago was July - the dead of summer. If you recall, I was posting about being a terrible parent and how awful things were with Liam. And now, four months later, two and half months into kindergarten, things are significantly different. I am definitely not having the same problems with my little man. No more tantrums. We still have problems - attitude, disrespectful talking back - that sort of thing. Nothing outlandish, nothing that makes me feel like my world is crumbling, just your usual, run of the mill parenting challenges between mom and five-year-old son.

I find it really important to write this down, to remember this time when Liam is excited about his chores chart, actually trying to control his temper and please his parents, because I know it is all cyclical. Four months ago I was sure we were headed to a behavioral therapist. Today...I think we are okay. And that is how it goes, right? Drama, not drama, good days, bad days, nightmares, heavenly moments and so the kaleidoscope spins.

Yesterday two amazing things happened. One was something I have dreamed about for ages. A thing I have written down on a secret list in my brain titled, "things I want to accomplish before I die." Yeah, one of those happened yesterday. I was babysitting, so I had a back yard full of boys. They were all in the "clubhouse" portion of the swing set, decorating it with sidewalk chalk. I walked over and placed a plate of fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies before them. As I walked back to the house, I could hear Liam squealing, giggling, bursting - because after-school snack usually consists of cheez-its or grapes. I also heard the older boys "oooo"-ing over the deliciousness. It made my heart soar.

I know, Bill rolled his eyes, too. But, I always wanted to be that mom with the backyard full of kids and offering a plate of amazing home made cookies. And yesterday I was. Today, back to grapes.

The second amazing thing: Liam finally figured out how to pump himself on the swings!!!!! It's amazing how long this takes. I think it's been at least a YEAR of saying, "kick IN aaaannnndddd OUT! Lean back, feet to the sky..." And one day they just GET IT. YAY!

Further updates:
-My Silly Trolls "business" is doing great. I've had enough interest to open it up to two days and I haven't even advertised yet. If you don't know what I am talking about, check out the website: www.wix.com/sillytrolls/sillytrolls

-Finny Finn is marvelous. Walking, climbing, getting into everything, sweet as sweet can be. Clever, too. Unfortunately, still obsessed with my chest - pretty much has his hand down my shirt at all times. It was cute...for a while. I'm pretty much over it, I wish he was.

-Bill - working hard. Doing his best. Spent two hours waxing his MiniCooper today...oy. But, the man's gotta have his man time. He still made time to make me lunch and take Finn out of the house for two hours so I could run my Silly Trolls session. So, I'm not complaining.

All in all, things are good today. Really good.

1 comment: