Sunday, December 11, 2011

Pigs must be flying...

because here I am...finishing a 5k...well, technically it was only 3 miles, not 3.1, but STILL. Me! Running! Honestly, I never ever, ever, ever dreamed I would run...except to catch a plane or a movie or a Finn.

It started with this. My brother and sister finishing a half marathon together in NYC this past October. It was wonderful to be there to cheer them on, but as I saw their faces crossing the finish line, all I could think of was how badly I wanted to be there with them.
I enjoy exercise and physical activity, but never running. And practically my whole family runs. But I left the city that weekend with crazy kind of yearning. A yearning I had never felt before. A true, to the core, desire to push myself to a place I never thought I could achieve. And the reason why? Not just to share a tremendous moment with two of my siblings, but for the two reasons below. My two angels. I want to be healthy and fit for them. I want them to have a mama who CAN run after them...for years to come.
And this angel. My Billbers. My love. I know he loves me and is proud of me. The best thing I can do for my family is be the healthiest me - and I think training for a half marathon next October is the ticket.
And here are my secret weapons. A best friend who showed me that YES, it IS possible to run races no matter how impossible it seemed. A best friend, who, despite freezing weather, stood out in the cold to cheer me on. This picture of Jen was what I looked at right before I started the race. She never dreamed she'd ever run - and look at her! Smiling and running....
And these two. Amber and Fred. Their belief in me. Their love. Amber's music to keep me moving and Fred's coaching to keep me on track. I'd never, ever have made even to the race had he not given me goals and a path to achieve them. I am forever grateful for these three people - I could never have done this without them.
And while this is not a great picture - this is a big chunk of my family running. My mom, my stepdad, my brother, Chuckie, my sister, Lauren, Mira, even Liam and Finn! (Liam was on a bike, four miles is a little much for him just yet.) These guys are the picture of health and are always running and skiing and just plain staying active. It's inspiring to be part of a group that's so ALIVE. I want to model this for my boys so we can run on the beach together when they are all grown up, too.

Here's where I 'train.' It's just one of the hills on my road. Oh yeah, I can call this 'my road' now because we are buying a house on it. :D
That's me and a new runner friend nearing the finish line. I may look like I'm all smiles, but I was pretty sure I was going to hurl at that point. It felt great and awful all at once...but mostly great.
And there's my time. 3 miles in about 31 minutes. From what I gather, not too shabby for a first run. Honestly, the time didn't matter nearly as much as just finishing it without puking.
And so, I want to say Thanks. (as usual, it seems). Thanks to my friends who believe in me and made this possible. Thanks to Bill for watching the kids so I can get out and train. Thanks for the breath in my lungs and the wind in my hair. Thanks for not freezing to death. Thanks for it all. I look forward to sharing my journey to "THE HALF" with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment