Saturday, October 27, 2007

These are a few of my favorite things...

As my departure from this place I have called home for the last eight years draws so very near,  I have started thinking about all the things I will miss.  The following list is mostly for me, but you might enjoy reading it.


-The handful of treasured close friends and all the wonderful acquaintances who fill my days.
-This house on the hill by the lake.  The magical light at dawn and sunset, the smell of grass on a warm summer afternoon or the smell of leaves in the fall.  The wind racing up the hill and taking your breath away.  The thunderstorms you can watch rolling across the lake to the spot you are sitting.  The swing on the giant maple tree.
-The local apple farm, with its amazing cider donuts and Macouns.
-The other local farm that grows the sweetest corn I have ever tasted.
-My "family" from work - and that wonderful job and my wonderful...now someone else's wonderful TA, who can seriously solve any problem or make any of my crazy ideas work.
-The short drive to my brother and sister-in-law's place by the ocean.
-The hills.  The trees (especially in fall).
-The buffalo farm.  Just kidding, I won't miss that place, but it was fun to walk there when the piglets were born.
-The seasons
-New York City
-Bagels.  Apparently, Texas is one of the parts of America that DOESN'T "run on Dunkin".
-If bagels will be missed, then you can bet I'll be missing good pizza as well.
-Snow.  Blessed snow and all the joys that come with it: sledding, hot cocoa, snowmen, boots, mittens, and so on.
-Pumpkin carving parties
-And finally, the thing I will miss most of all.  Having a BF only an 8 minute drive away whose family my son adores.  

That is the only thing on this list that physically hurts to leave behind.  My family and some friends will come and visit...and some one will undoubtedly send me some cider donuts (wait, no, I'll be dieting - let's switch that to bagels), but my BF is needed here.  I have started living my life mostly on a week-to-week basis, and that makes it a little easier to have faith that I will see her and her family before too much time goes by.  But...this hurts...a lot.  


Unless something truly remarkable occurs, this will be my last post from this part of the world.  Next one a little further south, and from then on, way out west....later, gators.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment