Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My love of old men...

Not sure how many of you know this about me, but I LOVE old men.  I mean, OLD old - white hair, rough leathery skin, pants too high or too short, perhaps a bit of a hunch or shuffle in their walk.  Man, my heart just melts when they say "Good Morning, young lady," or "That's a fine looking boy you've got there" in a parking lot or grocery store line.  I just want to give them a big old hug or squeeze their hand as they cross the street....it's weird, I know...but it's good for you to know as I tell this recent tale of my adventures in a Wal-Mart parking lot yesterday.

SO, Littleman was off to the movies with his grandma, and I ran out to the store to pick up more baby tylenol for poor little Finny-Finn and a few other necessary items (like bananas and colby jack cheese, yum).  His nose was all runny and he was just looking miserable in his adorable way as I pushed my cart to the back of my car.  As I was unloading, an older gentleman and his wife came shuffling up. The wife was pushing their cart and the man was walking over to me, grinning at Finn, and saying, "Now look at that fine young gentleman." (*sigh*, oh how my heart began to ooze all over my insides at this cuteness...) 

I notice, now, that the man is digging in his pocket for something.  It's probably important for you to know at this point that this was a well appointed couple. They were dressed VERY nicely - I'm pretty sure the wife was wearing a Chanel belt and he had a fancy kind of fedora hat. They were clean and "safe"-ish looking.  Still, the pocket digging did concern me a little.  Then he says, "Now, let me see if I have anything extra here...," and he pulls out a big ole wad of money!  He flips through a bunch of bills and plucks out a dollar.

"Oh, no no, sir, you really don't have to do that," I protest.

With an endearing twinkle in his eye, the kind only older, grandpa-like men can have, he replies, "A handsome little man has to have a little extra spending money, " and he reached right past me and tucked the dollar under the belt of Finn's car seat.  Then he shuffled off to catch up to his wife who was chuckling affectionately.

I mean, have you EVER????  That couple was so out of place in that parking lot....but, still, perhaps I should get Finn a little thong or something in case other people want to start tucking dollar bills on him....

Onto other things.  I somehow missed this wonderful picture of my mom and Finn the first night at Jackson Hole.

Awwww, I can hear all of you sighing.  How precious...

And here is a picture of a picture Littleman drew. It's me and him on a sunny day, with a few clouds in the sky.  My absolute favorite thing about Littleman's drawings of people is that they consist almost entirely of a happy face.  We are just two giant smiles with eyes, nose, a little bit of hair, and a few appendages.  OH, he's recently added belly buttons.  His "people" are just smiley faces...never mad or sad...I hope that this is a reflection of his soul, his heart, his happy view on the world.  Oh, how to keep them this happy.....

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

  1. greg just said, "oh, hey! that's a nice picture!" lol

    ReplyDelete