Sunday, August 29, 2010

Classic me

Any of you who know me well will not be surprised to read this.  On Tuesday night I received an email from a district simply asking if I was interested in a last minute K-5 librarian position at a school not too far from where I live. In less than 30 seconds I was balling...bauling...bawling(?) my eyes out.  I cried for, I kid you not, FORTY minutes! (Thank goodness Bill was working late and did not have to witness this...outpouring of emotional nonsense.)  I cried simply at the idea of going back to work.  As much as I need to, as much as I've convinced myself that its best, I still shook with misery.  Littleman had only completed two days of Kindergarten and I was kind of getting used to meeting him at the bus stop, having after school snack, and playing with dear little Finny Finn all day long.  


A few days have passed and I have had time to process.  The principal is looking at a stack of potentials - I am in the stack, but who knows if I'll even get a call for an interview...but I am hoping.  I am much calmer now (well, for this ten minutes, anyway).  I do want to work...it it means being able to throw a proper pumpkin party before Liam hits second grade...who knows, maybe even first!

In other, less dramatic but still very exciting news, Liam is a natural ice skater!  Yesterday I took him for his second time in two weeks.  He is AMAZING.  He just takes right off and goes!  He falls, he gets up and keeps on going.  No tears, no drama.  He's a different kid on the ice.  He says he doesn't want lessons.  Here's how that conversation went:
Me: Wouldn't one or two lessons be good? That way we could learn how to stop.
Him: I already know how to stop. I just fall down when I need to...or slam into the wall.
This said as if I were the crazy to think there's any other way.  We'll see.  It's such a positive experience with him.  I think I might take him once a week...and maybe he'll want lessons by Christmas or so....

Also, Liam has also become quite the creative artist.  I admit that it bothered me, just a smidge, that he only drew his happy stick figures - I LOVE his happy people, but he never added to the scene.  Now, however, in just the last few weeks, he's begun to draw rocket ships (pretty good ones!) and grass and flowers and storms and so on.  I don't know why, but this makes me very happy.

Finny Finn has been walking for over a month now and getting into all sorts of trouble.  I'm pretty sure I thought Littleman was the cutest baby, but now I am thinking Finny is the cutest.  Funny how that happens. :)  He loves electrical outlets.  Yep.  Why do my kids have to....make me nuts???? Electrical outlets and dogs.  He goes crazy for either...well, he searches out the first and literally goes ga-ga for the latter.  He recently started saying "La la la la..." I am thinking he is trying to say "Liam." 

We aren't completely weaned, but close.  I rarely nurse him during the day...as a matter of fact...I can't remember the last time I nursed him during the day...sigh....Just early morning...and evening.  But, I am trying to cut out that evening one...eventually I'll have to let someone else put him to bed....right? (Don't answer that - he's my last and I'll take my time if I want to!).  At the library today, at around two in the afternoon, Finn was getting fussy for his nap.  As we were gathering our things he walked up to me and just pulled the front of my tank top down and buried his face in my chest.  Luckily I was facing a wall and I don't think anyone witnessed his lack of impropriety.  Poor little guy.  Otherwise, he seems okay with the weaning.

He's still not very heavy, but he's a full two inches longer than Liam was at this age.  Sadly, the pediatrician has me giving him breathing treatments because she things he may be asthmatic.  Still not sure what to think about this.   Also, still trying to get the insurance to cover some portion of his mega expensive formula.  

Looks like my free time is up.  Baby's stirring and big brother's aching desperately for some attention.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment