Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's finally my turn...

To lose sleep with knots of anxiety about my little baby going to kindergarten.  I can't believe I am up right now.


Tonight was "meet the teacher."  She seems nice.  I hope she makes learning super fun for my boy.  The classroom is beautiful, sparkling and new.  All of Littleman's supplies are neatly stacked in his cubby. He was excited to be in his room and wandered from my side to explore without any hesitation.  Our pantry is stocked with snacks and juice boxes.  New clothes are washed and put away.  All that is set.

But I am fretting over a million details - all the unknown variables that begin on Monday morning.  I am concerned that the bus stop is up the hill, out of view from my house, with construction sites and empty lots with no sidewalks....I need to call about that in the morning.  That's just not safe.  I am terrified of putting Liam on the bus...I know he'll get on it and probably enjoy the ride...I hope he gets to sit with one of our neighbors.  But what about when it gets to the school?  It's not like in NY (where I taught) and the kids get to do a practice run with parents a day to two before Kindergarten.  He's just supposed to get on that bus and go...Will he be afraid to get off the bus?  Will he know where to go? Will he be brave?  Will he sit paralyzed? Will he cry?  Will some part of him know mommy is rooting for him all the way?

I remember the cold sweat of uncertainty that accompanied me so many mornings on my way to a new school.  The pit in my stomach.  I made it...so will he...but MAN, I do not like thinking about it.  Seriously, all mommies go through this?????  What cruel torture.  

I know he'll be fine once he gets to the classroom.  And after the first two days I imagine all will be well. However, will I get any sleep until then? I think not.

Thankfully, I recently discovered the free Kindle app for my iPod Touch.  It's amazing. Just finished The Hunger Games, onto Catching Fire...I think that's the next one...yipee for sleepless nights and little ones.  

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. Remember to use a lifeline as soon as he gets on the bus! I like the call a friend option. Good luck! You will both be fine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If mine made it, yours will. He's much more social. ;-)What time does he get home? L. wants to call him to see how he did. Are you getting him on & off the bus? They won't stop unless I'm out there waiting in the afternoon. And you know my driveway/road, we'll be out there until he's old enough to drive himself. ;-)

    ReplyDelete