Thursday, September 23, 2010

Age

Today I am 35. Yay! Happy Birthday to Me! While in the shower a few minutes ago, I had some thoughts about the word, "old."

Old is generally not a word I associate with people. Truly. Things that come to mind when I say the word "old" are: books that I've held onto since I was a little girl, my Mormor's gold watch that I have tucked in a drawer, the dust bunny behind my bed, the Jeep my brother drove when he was in high school, the Canadian bacon I bought for Bill that he never eats and keeps tucking further back in the fridge (I should throw that away...like now...just a sec...okay, back). Castles are old, the tree on the lake in NY is old. People are only on the planet for such a short time, how can they be old?

Well...truth be told, there are old people all around us, but it has nothing to do with their age. I've met people my age and younger that carry around regret, bitterness, and all sorts of negative baggage, and that, my friends, makes them old. My dad drives a Harley to work every day, my mom climbs mountains in the summer, I still buy things like ball pits under the pretense it's for my little boys. We are as young as we want to be.

Embrace the day - it will be a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment