Monday, September 13, 2010

Oh, how time flies.

I made a little movie today. A clip of Liam and his best buddy Luke - first when they are around two, close to three years old and then cut to last week when they were discussing first grade/kindergarten. It is amazing to see how little they were only a few years ago! Luke will be six on Friday! I remember the morning he was born...answering my phone next to my bed in my little crooked bedroom in Castleton...sigh....a week later I found out Liam was on the way. Seems like a hundred years ago and yesterday all at once.

Speaking of time, I am going to be 35 years young in less than two weeks. How unexpected. Well, not, entirely. I've celebrated my birthday on the same day for...well...35 years. But, 35 sounds so, mature...so grown up... And, well, I am just not either one of those things. Sure, I have kids, a gut, and a mortgage...but I'd rather be jumping on a trampoline than sipping wine, sled riding than discussing politics, building sand castles rather than beefing up my resume. I think a lot of people let their age define them. I am glad I don't.

And maybe I have matured a little bit. One thing I can do now, better than I have been able to in...forever, really, is truly appreciate my mother. Why does it take so darn long for women to figure out their mommy-issues??? And I'm not saying our relationship is perfect, BUT, we finally....sort of get one another. It has literally taken me decades to realize I can respect and love her even though we often have different takes on the world. Seriously, that ONE tiny sentence has taken years and YEARS to make sense and come to fruition. But it feels so good, SO GOOD, to talk to her now. I want her advice, her thoughts...and while its frustrating that I spent years "repelling" her input, it makes the years to come all the more welcoming. So, thank you, 35, for making me so mature.

Oh right...there was a video...I hope it uploads okay. The quality here at blogger doesn't seem to be as nice as my old blog...but hey, it's free. The video is also on Facebook, where the quality might be better. Enjoy.


Also, I don't think I've posted this video of Liam and I ice skating at the mall. He has an amazing natural talent. I love, LOVE going with him. We are trying to go every Saturday as a special "mommy and me" time. It was taken on Bill's iPhone, so sorry for the small size.

No comments:

Post a Comment