Friday, May 11, 2012

No Drama

I swear.  No drama at all.

Every story I tell, from buying a pair of underwear to signing up for swim class, there's drama.  I don't know how to tell a story WITHOUT drama.  And, when you look at this picture of my car's front end, you must be thinking - what's the story behind THIS?

There MUST be drama.  And yet...there is not.  Nearly every day I, the distracted mommy driver, do things I think will surely get me in an accident: change songs on my iPod, make phone calls (using Bluetooth, but it's still distracting), reach back to hand Finn a dropped book, car, etc., slurp up diet cokes, and so on.

Did any of these things cause this?  No.  Not a one.

An intersection - a tricky weird one, not a simple one.  Normally busy, but surprisingly not busy when I breezed through the red light.  There was a blinking sign on the the other side of the light flashing details about an upcoming 5k in a town near mine.  I was watching it, waiting for the date to flash, when the light changed and I did not see it.

The car of the guy I hit is worse than mine.  His back passenger side was pretty smashed.  So much so he had to be towed 'from the scene.'  Had it happened a second earlier, I could have killed him.  I would have hit HIM and not the back of his car with my big ass SUV.  :(  This scares the crap out of me.  This makes me cry every time I think of it.

Finn was in the back seat.  He is fine, we are all fine...but still.  He puked all over me when we were waiting for the police.  Not from any injury - he was eating a bagel at the time.  But it freaked me out...and kept me freaked out for hours after, even though he was and is fine.

A lieutenant from the Schodack Police responded to our 911 call.  He was really great.  Calm, thorough, nice.  Didn't even give me a ticket for running the light.  Our insurance guy was really nice. And the body shop has been amazing so far (guess we'll need to see a repaired car to make the final call).  And the guy I hit was completely nice.  Annoyed, naturally, but not even mad, just glad that it wasn't worse.

I know I was lucky.  Very lucky.  I am still really freaked out about how benign the whole thing was.  That it just happened out of nowhere.  But...it's over now.  Every one involved is okay.  I'll be out my deductible and my insurance will go up, but not a ton....all's well that ends well.

And so I will leave you with pictures of our yard in it's spring blossoming glory.  I mowed the entire front lawn today - with a push mower!  (The riding mower arrived yesterday, but I want Bill to start it up for the first time...I'm not ready to break any more of our stuff).  AND I trimmed our out of control bushes.  Had to expend some nervous energy.





The kids and I made some stones for the garden.


Can anyone tell me what these amazing flowers are??? They are growing in a couple of spots in our garden.  They are so delicate and beautiful.






2 comments:

  1. That is a scary thing to have happen but yet it could have been worse. So glad it all turned out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are OK!

    Those flowers look like Bleeding Hearts.

    ReplyDelete