Thursday, December 27, 2007

Catching up...

SO, I have been catching up on my reading.  Oh, you didn't know?  I've only read the last two Harry Potter's since Littleman was born (more or less).  However, now that he is finally playing independently and sleeping a tiny bit longer, I have actually read a few novels.  In the past I favored Young Adult lit....well, I still favor it, but I have not read one in a long while, mostly because I haven't had any recommendations.  SO, I have been reading the hand-me-downs of friends and family...mostly adult lit.  And thus far, I am searching for a happy ending...or something that doesn't leave me with a "har-umph" when I am done.

 

As previously stated, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, was on the sad side.  A good read, but sad.

 

 

Then, I moved on to my mother's hand me down, The Piano Tuner, by Daniel Mason.  It was...hmmm...okay, I guess.  I enjoyed the desciptions of 19th century Burma, but I found the plot a little dry...kind of like the drought the Burmese were experiencing at the time.  I could have liked a different ending. 

Forgive me for being a sap - I like happy endings.  That's why I read FICTION.  I love the tickle in my chest I get from a couple/kid/family/dog/whatever that gets what he/she/they want in the end, even if it's contrived!  It doesn't often happen like that in real life and that is why I like to melt into the fictional world created by competent writers. (Speaking of melting, my SIL gave me a chocolate fondu thing for Christmas, I am totally psyched to try that out...mmmm...yum....oh, back to books...)

I have just started, A Great and Terrible Beauty, by Libba Bray.  My 12 year old sister loaned this to me just before I left Arizona...who is borrowing it from her grandmother - a very hip, college advisor.  I have high hopes for

 this one.  I think it actually is YA...so far, only because the protagonist is 16. 

SO, if you have any good suggestions, please send them my way.  I am ready to read!

Hope this blog wasn't too boring.  I had the need to write about books.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. You should read my work blog! I will e-mail you the link, since I am trying to remain anonymous on Vox... Glad to hear you're finding some "me" time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're looking for wholesome families and happy endings, then try these:
    Linda Urban's A Crooked Kind of Perfect
    Lynne Jonell's Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete