Friday, July 2, 2010

oh the drama....

This one was too good to not write about.

So.  Liam has been really revving up his drama-meter these days.  My little munchkin has always been quite the firey one, but, three weeks with my mom - being doted on, staying up late, traveling, all that nonsense, along with school ending has added fuel to an already blazing fire.  Tonight, however, was really special.

Allow me to preface with this.  Every night, after Finn goes to bed, we let Liam stay up with us, for some one on one time and usually, what he refers to as, "a special treat."  It's almost always a no sugar added fruit pop, but sometimes, if its early enough, it's a bowl of popcorn which we all eat together on the couch in front of the boob tube (the TV, not me in a tube top). Tonight, however, Liam lost this priviledge because just as I was getting the boys out of the tub, he decided to snatch a rubber duckie out of Finn's little mouth for no good reason at all.  This was the cherry on top of a day filled with similar little trangressions against the helpless baby brother.

While I put Finn to bed I could hear Liam wailing in his room about his lost special treat. (SO pathetic) He was under his covers crying and moaning about how "his wishes will never come true" and "I'm just no good at being a kid..." Where does he get this stuff?  Anyway, I came into his room, explained that it's hard to make good choices all day long, mommy and daddy understand, and tomorrow we could have popcorn together if he's nicer to his brother.  Then we headed out to the kitchen to make some wrapping paper for upcoming birthdays.

Okay, this is where the story picks up.  As I was cleaning up, Liam went into another room and started singing.  You know that kind of mindless, little kid, stream of thought-type singing? Bill lowers the TV volume and we hear snippets of things like, "I want to go back to NY and live in the country all by myself. I am only a kid. I am five and I am my mom's son, but I want to go away and be by myself all the way in New York...." You get the picture. 

Thinking I am oh-so-clever, instead of saying, "Ok, time for bed." I say, "Alright, Liam, go pack your suitcase.  I got you a ticket, you can go to New York all by yourself.  We will miss you."  And Liam, thinking HE is oh-so-clever, goes to his closet, pulls out his little suitcase, throws in a few beloved items (stuffed Mickey Mouse, a superman b-day card from Luke, a rock) and heads out to the garage.

Bill and I just stared at the door and waited.  Two whole minutes go by and Bill can't take it. He goes to the door, opens it, and in runs a tear filled Liam.  Throwing his suitcase to the floor, he is BALLING, sobbing, crying his eyes out.  "I don't want to go alone. I want to be together! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!"  

Oh. My. God.  Later, when he calmed down, he told us that "When I got to the airport I changed my mind and drove back. I don't want to go anywhere without my family."  His imagination took him that far!  Man, I love that kid.  He may be dramatic, but I wouldn't trade him for the world.  He hugged me so hard for a solid ten minutes.  I felt a little bad that it I let him take it that far...but sometimes you have to really let a point sink in.  I do hope he'll be nicer to Finn tomorrow....

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

  1. Hrmm.. We had a similar incident, sans tears. It ended with Kaelin walking down the front bath to the side walk.. looking one way and then other other, trying to figure out where Florida was. Then she picked a direction and started walking. So, of course, I was the one stopping HER! I decided these things aren't so clever after all.. :p

    ReplyDelete