Thursday, April 19, 2012

Too long for Facebook

-Today I saved $0.18 using recycled grocery bags...and while it felt good, I wanted to save more like $8.00, but savings is savings, I guess. And I didn't use more plastic.

-It is absolutely GLORIOUS outside...but I want it to rain and rain and rain so I don't have to be scared to do 6 loads of laundry and run the dishwasher...and perhaps take a shower at the end of the day. (Our well dried up yesterday. We have a little now....but we have to be EXTRA conservative now.)

-I wore corduroy's this morning...I felt very foolish by noon and changed into capris. Did I mention it is GLORIOUS outside?

-I am completely in love my my new book, The Homemade Pantry, by A. Chernila. It has so many fantastic recipes and ideas for being more self sufficient and environmentally friendly. She also has a blog that I am really enjoying: http://www.eatingfromthegroundup.com/. I am making her 'beef bulgogi' tonight. Very excited. Sadly, a lot of her recipes in the book have eggs or butter or milk...but I am working on making modifications and hoping extra hard that Finn grows of the dairy allergy in the next few years.

-Being laid off might actually turn out to be okay for us. Maybe. It's a little early to say for sure.

-I am still fat. I'm not running as much as I need or want to. I want to be healthy....I really do. And there's that same old tune.

-Finn is not napping or keeping to his room as I have suggested with great enthusiasm. It is maddening. I wanted to get so many things done and now, instead, I am blogging and he is eating a jello cup he found in the vegetable crisper ( I think I tried to hide it there a few months ago....).

-I love our dog, but he is driving me crazy. The neighbors (three 20-something boys who still live with their mother and don't seem to work very often) are shooting air rifles or something like that and the dog is barking, barking, barking. This morning a neighbor's dog showed up on our porch and stayed for a couple of annoying hours. Austin barked and the two didn't really get along, so that was fun. I called the number on the dog's tag about six times. They finally showed up.

-Totally random: Finn really enjoys helping me cook.

-I will never tire of hanging laundry on the line outside and how it smells like heaven. Seriously, my heaven will smell like clean clothes drying in the sun on a breezy spring day.

-Oh, don't judge me. I have stopped brushing/combing my hair. What's the point? Really? Whether I comb it or not, whether I blow dry it or not, it ends up looking messy and in a loose bun anyway. After I shower - which, by the way, I now only use a 2-in-1 shampoo, so I'm even cutting corners there - I just tie my hair in a bun and let it dry. It looks pretty decent -even when I've slept on it for 6 hours....or maybe I am just telling myself that. Anyway, after about six days of our spring break passed I realized that I had not brushed my hair once...not even for Easter. So, I brushed it. I guess I'll brush it every now and then. And, just in case you are worried, I am not growing dreads - I 'finger' comb it to get out the knots....but...I feel very much like I am rebelling against society by going to my professional librarian job without touching my hair. No one has said anything...so I guess it's okay.

-And now I am off to bake some bread for a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment