Sunday, November 11, 2007

We made it!

We arrived at 7:15 pm last night!  What a journey!  Aside from some stomach issues (only the adults, Littleman's tummy was fine - most likely because he only ate Goldfish and a couple of french fries the entire trip) AND PapaBear's car leaking oil (the entire way!) the trip went very smoothly.  The mornings were filled with children's music and books, the afternoons were a little more quiet because the DVD player was plugged into Littleman.

Because I am absolutely wasted and we're meeting the realtor to get the keys to our new place, I am going to list some of the highlights of our trip:

-We stopped for gas six times.  We stopped for a potty 11 times.

-We called 911 twice on Friday.  The first time it was Liam who dialed it while playing with the hotel phone at around 6 in the morning.  We didn't realize it until 911 called our hotel room back to make sure everything was okay.  The second time was around 7pm, somewhere on the interstate in Tennessee.  There was a woman on the side of the road waving her arms next to her car.  We were going to fast to stop, but I called 911 and gave them her location.  We saw a trooper a few miles down head her direction.

-On the trip, I read The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards.  It is mostly a heartbreaking story.  I think I will stick with fantasy, magic, and happy stories...however, it was a very compelling read.

-I have been wearing the same pair of jeans since Wednesday.  They are so soft, it's hard to put them in the wash...but alas, the stench of milk on the cuff (spilled by Liam in a Shoney's two days ago), will get them there in the end.

-Arkansas is the saddest state I have ever seen...from I-40, across the entire state there is NOTHING.  Even Little Rock was nothing. 

-The mountains in Virginia and Tennesee are breathtaking.

-The bathrooms at most Tennessee gas stations are scary. 

Okay, PapaBear just finished making breakfast, I'm off for some new adventures.  I hope I'll have some pictures up of the new house in a few days.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you made it -- and that you posted to let us all know... It sounds like you had a relatively easy trip, which is great... The one thing I just HAD to comment on, though, was the statement about bathrooms in Tennessee gas stations... The only memory I have from traveling through Tennessee, as a 7 year old, is a disgusting, poop-splattered, bug-coated floor... Most of the bugs were alive and crawling over each other, although there were plenty of dead ones too... I started to walk in, but I ran out crying when I saw the floor... My mom was kind enough to hide my butt while I squatted and peed next to the car... ::shudders::

    ReplyDelete