Friday, March 28, 2008

I bought a black dress

My father-in-law passed away on Wednesday morning surrounded by his loved ones.  Today was his funeral.  For someone who usually overflows with words, I cannot find ones to describe this great and devastating loss...so I will fill this space with the gifts that tremendous man gave me:

PAPABEAR PAPABEAR PAPABEAR PAPABEAR PAPABEAR

which led to LITTLEMAN.

Pizza with blue cheese - SO much of it.

Treating me like one of his daughters since the day we met some 14 years ago.

Always slipping Papabear a twenty when we were in college so we could see a movie or get a bite to eat.

EVERY time he visited me and Papabear, before he left he would fill our freezer with at least two months worth of chicken, steak, hot dogs, ground beef, and the like.  I will always do that for my children when they are living on their own.

His GENEROSITY knew no ends.

A weekend at the Westin hotel in San Antonio - one of the most fun times we had as a family before little ones entered our lives.

LOTS of lobster and steak

He always went out and bought the soda I liked when he knew we were coming for a visit.  I didn't even have to ask.

Our first extension ladder

His unconditional love for his children is the most important gift of all.  My children will benefit and glow and blossom from his love and generosity through me and Papabear.

 

I know you are wondering how Littleman is doing...for the most part he is just confused and tired as the last few days have been so hectic.  We have so much family visiting, I think he thinks it's Thanksgiving again...we'll see what happens next week when life presumably returns to normal.  He asked to go up to "grandpa's room" as we were leaving their house this evening...he was diverted with kisses and hugs from cousins...for now that will do. Earlier I explained that grandpa is in heaven where his boo-boos are all better...and that we are sad because we'll miss him.  But Littleman is only two and a half (nearly three, now) and just said, "All better is good." As I said, for now that will do.

Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, plants, flowers/bouquets (especially the edible one - Littleman was particularly fond of the chocolate dipped pineapple hearts), and kind words.  It's hard to do this without your hugs, but knowing that you are thinking about us really does help.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. I know you know I know how you feel (it makes sense, read it again and then giggle a little), but I'm just saying it here too... You have my hugs. Less is better with Littleman. Answer his questions but don't offer up a lot unless he really really needs it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about your loss... I will say a little prayer for you and your family...

    ReplyDelete