Sunday, March 30, 2008

I should have been Native American

It is clear to me that I should have been born a Native American...or perhaps an early pioneer woman.  I have felt this way most of my life (I have also felt that in another life I must have been a blue whale, an elephant, and/or a mermaid...but that's another blog).  Instinctually, I prefer a simple life.  For as long as I can remember all I have ever dreamed of was being a mother and creating/nurturing a relatively happy family.  Okay, so I stumbled onto librarianship and it turned out I am really good at it, but at the heart of that profession...or my desire to excel in it, is taking care of and helping people.  Seriously, I have never dreamed of wealth or stardom...or anything close, just family.

My point is I wish I were part of a world where families stay close together.  It just doesn't seem realistic anymore.  Every part of the world is available to people now...and I completely understand the desire, even the need, to explore and wander and find places that suit ones style/personality/needs.  In my heart of hearts, though, and I feel that this goes against so much of what is "popular" now-a-days, I wish my whole family were in tipis or longhouses along the same riverbank...or farmhouses spread out in the same county.  Even though being in close proximity to some of my family members can be stressful at times, I would bet that the good times out weigh the bad ones.  And when bad ones arise, you are together.

Being here, in Texas, for this...time...has been...amazing - the good, the bad, and the tragically sad, all of it amazing and I wouldn't have had it any other way.  However, if my mom were to get sick, or my dad, or one of my siblings, could I leave to be by their side?  Sadly, no, not on such a permanent level.  All of this occured at a time in our lives when we could make it happen...now, we simply couldn't afford it.  And that is what is so frustrating for me.  Why does it have to be this way?  Why do families scatter to the wind?  Because it is just the way of the world. 

As much as I would love to raise Littleman, send him off to college and have him come back and set up his life very close to mine, I would NEVER dream of requiring it...I'll always hope that he (and his future sibling, whenever he or she can come) will want to be near us, but the world is their oyster, too, and I will have to let them find their own way and happiness in it.

Here are some pictures I took recently.  Littleman had a haircut a couple of days ago - it is SHORT.  I took this first picture this morning, so he has a bit of bedhead.

 

A circus drove through town last weekend.  We swung by to admire the elephants.

 

      I recently bought Littleman some flip-flops.  He loves them...but cannot walk in them very well.  Yes, you might detect a hint of pink nail polish on his big toes...he was refusing to nap and caught me doing my nails.  What could I do?

 

 

Here is Littleman giving Reesie a treat on Easter Sunday.

 

Finally, if you are bored and would like to see yourself as some kind of wild animal, check out this website.  You can even print out your results.  I have to say, I look wonderful as an elephant. :)

http://www.buildyourwildself.com/

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment