Thursday, June 4, 2009

WHOAAAAA Nellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...this trip is turning out to be even more of a circus than I could have ever imagined.  A miraculous circus.  This post is going to be one of those "list" type posts - because, in all honesty, I am way too tired to put together coherent sentences and paragraphs and such.  However, the MOST miraculous and amazing thing happened to me and it really does deserve full sentences.


My mother graciously offered to not only drive me and Littleman up to Albany for two days, but also to take me to see some people I really needed to see.  The plan was this: Monday evening to visit a friend and her handsome baby, Tuesday morning a visit to Ichabod to see my wonderful friends there, and then my mom would drop us off at my BF's house to spend the night.  My mom had a meeting Wed. morning so Littleman and I would take the train into Penn Station Wed. afternoon.

Here's how my less than 48 hours in the upstate NY region panned out:
-Monday evening - lovely time seeing dear friend, her baby AND her mom, whom I love dearly.
-Tuesday morning - I was given only an hour to visit with the 50 or so wonderful people I worked with at Ichabod. (My mom was literally circling the building while I "visited." Hey, beggars can't be choosy, right?)  Anyway, I spent one whirlwind hour hugging and briefly catching up with that wonderful group of people.  (One year, LF, I will come back and we can go camping with the Webbs, I'll bring some puppets and we'll relive the glory days!)
-Tuesday noon - my mom drops me off in the driveway of my BF's house.  BF returns from errands and we spend the afternoon as if I still lived up the street.  Our boys took only minutes to be as cozy with one another as they had been in years past.  It's amazing how they remember one another...I swear Littleman plays differently with Skywalker.  There's an ease there...a comfort zone...a bond they made when they were babies.  Anyway, we eat pizza, bathe the boys, set up the air mattress and settle down for an evening of peaceful slumber (...after ten or twelve visits to the boys room to tell them to get back in bed).
-Wednesday 2am - BF's husband appears in the doorway and says, "BF's water broke, we're heading to the hospital.  You okay here?"  Um, YES.  
-Wednesday 8am - BF has a beautiful baby girl!!!!  I am at her house with her two lovely children to share the wonderful news and give them hugs...as well as breakfast.

What are the odds???? I mean really!  The ONE night of the ENTIRE year I plan to spend with my BF and she has her baby!!!!  Two weeks early.  UNREAL.  TOTALLY and UNBELIEVABLY UNREAL.  I am still reeling from the whole thing.  A part of me is glad that she didn't have to worry about getting someone to watch her two babies while she went to deliver her third at two in the morning...but the bigger part of me is so grateful to the powers that be for allowing me to actually be THERE with her family and her for this.  I was there for the first two and it was killing me to think I'd miss this one....and somehow I was given this gift.  

Okay, so that was kind of list-like, but I am pretty wasted.  After visiting the BF and her new baby at the hospital, Littleman and I rushed off to catch the 6:20 train to Penn Station.  It arrived at 9pm.  If you are wondering what it is like to navigate that place with a tired, exhausted four year old, a suitcase, backpack, AND booster seat, seven months pregnant, let me just stop you right now.  It SUCKS.  Need I say more?  It totally, massively sucks.  If I had had more than 4 hours of sleep, I might have had the foresight to ask one of the more than friendly folks I know that live in the city to meet me and help me lug ourselves out to my stepdad's car. (By sheer luck he happened to have an art class in the city that wrapped up at 9, so he was right around the corner!)  Needless to say, I am UTTERLY grateful to my mom and sister who played with Littleman all morning so I could sleep until 10.  

And so, you are now letting out huge breaths, thinking, "well, finally she'll get some time to relax."  But NO, tomorrow I get to rent a car, pick up Papabear at Newark Airport, and drive to New Hampshire.  Papabear's BF, Z, is getting married Saturday evening.  Thankfully, Littleman will get some chill time with his Mormor in NJ.  As much as I want him with me, the poor kid has slept in a different bed every night since Saturday!!!!  He needs a break and to be spoiled by his east coast family.  Plus, I am looking forward to a little alone-time with Papabear before our lives are drastically altered by the arrival of my little belly buddy.

I was going to list some funny/interesting tidbits about our journey...but really, haven't you read enough? I will leave you with this funny little thing Littleman said to my mom and I at a fancy restaurant on his fourth birthday.  We were waiting for our food to arrive and Littleman was telling us stories.  You know the kind: LONG, completely plotless, that only the mind of a preschooler could generate.  At some point he looks at my mom and I and says, "I wonder when my mouth is going to stop telling this story."

How great is that?


Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. Ha!! I love Littleman's comment!! The really odd part is that at my advanced age, I sometimes find myself wondering the SAME EXACT THING!! (I just have the internal dialogue thing down now and don't vocalize it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Littleman could totally come and take Boogie's place for an afternoon, and I probably wouldn't miss a beat... It's so funny how much alike they are in their mannerisms! So happy you could be there to welcome the newest Jedi to the clan... Yay for kismet!

    ReplyDelete