Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Does this stuff only happen to me???

I left my house with ample time to pick up my neighbor's son from preschool. As I drove over, out of nowhere, I doubled over with sharp, stabbing stomach cramps. They were so bad I wasn't sure if I was going to make it to the school. However, I pulled into the parking lot eight minutes ahead of schedule.

Finn was asleep in the back. He hadn't napped all day, so he was out cold. I thought I could wait the cramps out in the comfort of my car, but as the sweat began to build up on my forehead and under my arms, it became alarming clear that waiting was not going to be an option. As a matter of fact, I was seriously regretting the two minutes I'd already spent in the parking lot. What to do...what to do???? I had no time to unfold the stroller, walk up to the building, ride the elevator to the nearest bathroom (and the only one I know how to find at the enormous facility). I just wasn't going to make it.

So, I did the only thing I could. I swiftly unbuckled Finn, cradled him as gently as possible over my shoulder, shoved my keys in my pocket, and tried not to run. Clenching my one free fist, begging the sweet powers that be to "please, PLEASE let me make it," I marched passed all the mommies and care givers.

Thankfully, the upstairs bathroom that I know about is mercifully not a commonly used one. And I am not going to paint the entire picture, because, it just wouldn't be lady like, but I will present you with this: there I was, in a public (but clean) stall, holding twenty pounds of nearly unconscious one-year-old, experiencing wave after wave of...well...unpleasantness...thinking, "boy, this sure would make a good blog post." I also thought, "I should have told someone at the front that I was at least here, in the building. " But mostly, I was thinking about how times like this were meant to be written down. Why? I am not sure. Anyway, I digress...

Luckily, the...unpleasantness only lasted a couple of minutes. However, when you are in that sort of moment, every second feels like an eternity. Flushing was awesome. That's a really special way to wake a sleeping baby. Poor little guy. I was able to wash my hands and pick up my neighbor's son right at pick up time. So, it all worked out. I am home now, the kids are playing and my cramps are...at bay for the moment.

So, seriously, please tell me I'm not the only mom who has been forced to hold their sleeping baby while the are stricken with "unpleasantness" in a public place!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...you just may be the only one LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been breastfeeding when that struck and brought the baby in to nurse at 3am while i tried not to die... pleasant, huh?!?

    ReplyDelete