Thursday, May 15, 2008

Wilco, the letter B, and characters...

So Papabear and I wisked ourselves away for a rocking, romantic evening in Austin to see a sold out WILCO show.  It's about a 3.5 hour drive from where we live.

 

If I must say so, it was perhaps one of the BEST live shows I have EVER experienced.  It was an outdoor venue, had an excellent sound system, and the weather was about 70 degrees and breezy.  The band was absolutely amazing.  Our hotel was within walking distance.  We ate (dinner and brunch the next morning) at two very inexpensive, but extremely delicious restaurants.  Littleman slept over at Maday's and has asked to sleep over again every day this week!  I seriously could not have asked for a better 36 hours.

 

B3

Today I hosted a playdate at my house, "B is for Bubbles."  I have hosted about six "letter of the day" play dates...and have about 15 more scheduled on the events calendar up until August.  It's my little way of staying in touch with my professional self.  Usually, the same four or five kids show up (with mommies, of course).   We sing/sign the alphabet, listen to a story, make a lame little craft (bugs today), and have a snack.  Littleman has become good friends with "regulars" and I think really enjoys the "lesson."  Today, as I rang my little school bell and the kids settled down on the carpet in front of me, Littleman man said, "I'm ready, Miss Britt."  :) Somehow, the look on his face told me that he knew EXACTLY how funny I thought that would be.

 

B9

One mom brought balloons for all the kids!  It was a pretty successful playdate...except the book I chose stunk.  Usually I do a better job with that...and as a librarian, I find it embarassing that the book I read was a lame-o, Sesame Street book called, It's Not Easy Being Big .  I can do better...

 

Finally, a bit about characters.  There are many in my life, ME, to name one, but there are loads of others.  Why I have to mention this, I don't know...but EVERY time I am working out and this woman joins the class, I ALWAYS think, "I HAVE to blog about this...)  Anyway, remember Magda from There's Something About Mary?  If not, here's a picture of her:

 

Well, I work out with her.  NO, not the actress, but a woman who is literally ORANGE from the fake tan and I worry that her bleached hair will fall out on me when we're grapevining around our steps! Ew.

Recently, an acquaintence back east emailed and asked if I'd met any "real" people out here as I was afraid that all the moms were going to be perfectly made up, with their trendy clothes, perfect hair, and stiletto heels at toddler story time.  While those women actually DO exist out here and show up for story time as if it were happy hour, I have met some very down to earth, "real" people out here.  By some stroke of very good luck, I have met a small handful of really nice people, all mom's, of course.  The "meetup.com" thing has been good to me.  I am happy to report, that although there is nothing like the comfort and love of my friends back east, I do have a really nice network of friends here.  Some similar souls who I can trust to watch Littleman and whose children are sweet and loving and friendly.  I have to admit, that there have been some pretty cloudy days in the recent past, but when the sun shines on me, it really SHINES.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment