Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fried Pies in Oklahoma

 

That's right.  As we drove to Oklahoma on Sunday for a hike in the Chickasaw National Recreation Center, we saw numerous, mostly homemade, signs for "Fried Pies."  So, after our four or five hours of hiking (see pictures below), my curiosity got the best of me and I forced Bill to stop at the giant sign.  And a fried pie, is basically just what it says.  Slightly larger than a taco, this place sold homemade fried dough filled with every kind of sweetness you can imagine: peach, pineapple, cherry, blueberry, blackberry, apple, coconut, apricot, and so on.  We tried the apple and blackberry pies - they were quiet yummy.  Still hot, extremely messy things...and probably full of cholesterol and all that nonsense...but worth it!

I want to thank the VOICE OF REASON who called me yesterday.  It's as if she embodied all the voices of my dearest friends in the brief minutes we had to speak. She stated, quite matter of factly, how much I need/want/should be home with Littleman.  And she is right.  And you guys are right.  And now, at this very moment, I will be working on building up that backbone of mine that tends to slip away whenever I need it.  I think Papabear is a little too attached to the "me-working-plan."  I have to remind him that I have my whole life to work and Littleman will only be little for a short while longer. (Can you hear me revving my engine?)

Anyway, J (aka the VOICE OF REASON), thanks for calling.  I needed the sureness in your voice to push me over my wishy-washy edge.  And right now, while my spine strengthens, I will post some pictures of our really lovely hike in the Oklahoma wilderness. (Yeah, who knew?)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Can you believe I actually took this picture?????  Neither can I.  It was AWESOME!  We ended our evening celebrating Papabear's brother-in-law's birthday.  They have a hot tub the boys could enjoy.

 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. Fried pies truly are one of Oklahoma's greatest contributions to food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vox ate the rest of my comment. So was going to say that OK's Indian Tacos (with fry bread) and Fried Peaches are also super tasty - but harder to come by.Looks like you had a great time! What fun!

    ReplyDelete