Friday, December 26, 2008

Good tidings...

Not too many things compare to seeing your child happy.  And while all it often takes to make this little guy smile is a tickle, or an apple, or a push on the swings, Littleman was beside himself this Christmas.  It was the first year that he really "got it."  The whole Santa thing, being good, decorating, watching Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer, giving gifts to others, and the pay off - a stack of presents on Christmas morning.

It was not an easy Christmas for the grown ups - the missing of Bill's dad was immense.  There was a hole in Bill's parents house, and his mother could feel it the most.  She, we, all tried to fill it with gifts for the little boys, so their laughter and glee would pull smiles out of eyes wanting to spill with tears.  It was a good Christmas, though.  A tenderness was present between us all that hadn't been there before. 

Even though I have not been able to spend Christmas with my own dad for many years...I don't want to imagine one that didn't involve hearing his voice wishing me and my family a merry day.  It breaks my heart to even think it...so I can't imagine what this must be like for Bill or his sister, especially his sister.

Well, this post is sounding much gloomier than I had intended.  We did have a wonderful Christmas.  Bill made a standing rib roast that was to die for (of course, I didn't eat anything but one bite, but even just that was divine).  I made brownies that brought the family to their knees.  And Bill's mom made a batch of mashed potatoes that just about made me want to cry - heavenly,I swear, you've never had such delicious mashed potatoes.  Oh, there were presents, too.  Lots of them.  My dad got our whole family EVERY THING on the list of "suggestions" he asked me to send.  Talk about feeling like a little kid!  I think I squealed as loudly as Littleman when I opened my new underwater iPod armband (so I can do laps to music)!!!!  It was a really good Christmas.  Super good in so many ways.

I hope all of you had a wonderful holiday, too.  Off to calculate how many "points" I consumed today...oh, and just so you know, I actually, with tears in my eyes, threw away ALL the left over brownies.  I know it's a sin to throw away perfectly good food...but if they had been in my sight for a minute longer I'm certain I'd eat the entire tray...and then my heart/cholesterol/weight/conscience would ALL be in trouble. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment