Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Super old, warm and cozy flannel pj's

For some unknown reason, I packed my super old, warm and cozy flannel pj's for my trip to ARIZONA.  As it turns out, I have worn them every night here because they are experiencing some kind of arctic blast.  ALSO, it rains about five days a year here and I have been here for all of them!  It's been pouring all day.  Can you believe it?  Luckily, my dad was in the mood to skip work and take me and Littleman out for lunch and a movie.

Coming here, spending ten days in my dad's house with his wife and my three siblings, AJ (17), A(13), and J(9), is like being enveloped in my warm cozy pajama's nonstop.  (Technically they are my half-siblings, but I never refer to any of my siblings as half, since five out of six are - it doesn't feel right.)  This family is so warm and affectionate - every where you turn there's a hug or a smile.  Littleman has been chased and tickled and loved from the moment we walked through the doors.  It helps that there's five people here - you (or Littleman) literally can't turn around without making eye contact or tickle contact with an aunt, uncle or grandparent.  It amazes me how he is instantly connected to them.  He hasn't seen them since June, but he's hugging and tickling as if he played with them every day. 

We, me and my AZ family, really know how to spend time together.  We don't waste it.  Even though the kids have school, we're watching movies, making gingerbread houses, finishing homework, and just sitting around together.  It's wonderful...and six months between visits is just too much.  But, it's too expensive for them to visit more frequently than they do and..well...I think I just need to visit more.

I miss Papabear like crazy and when the ten days are up on Friday, I will be more than ready to be back with him.  I wish we all lived closer...I wish AZ, NY, CT, and NJ were all just a bunch of miles apart instead of a LOT of miles apart.  *sigh*  Well, like I said, we know how to spend time with each other, so we're enjoying every minute.

Some other highlights - I've been hitting the gym out here!  It's a national chain and my membership is good at all of them, so Littleman barely notices the difference in the child care area! I can't tell you how awesome it is that I can just drop him off and he's chirps, "See ya mom, I'll be over here on the jungle gym.  You go and exercise now!"  It looks just like our gym in TX - just a mirror version.  I've been here seven days and I have lost one pound.  I am actually proud of this for two reasons. One, I am bloated for female reasons I'm sure you understand, and two, this family LOVES to eat.  About two hours after a sensible and healthy dinner, they break out potato chips and all sorts of temptations.  It's been tough, but I've been pretty good.

Well, the Littleman is climbing the walls waiting for every one to get off their respective school buses. I should probably go and be a decent parent or something.  

Hope everyone is safe and warm - the weather across the country in general seems to be crazy.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment