Sunday, January 25, 2009

Haggis, hangovers, the law, and other juicy and not so juicy bits.

Last night Papabear and I attended our very first "Robert Burns night."  He was a famous Scottish poet, so famous, the Scots have a national holiday to celebrate him.  The tradition is to serve haggis with whiskey shots.  Our Scottish friend, fully decked out in his kilt, read a Robbie Burns poem to the haggis as it came out of the oven (in OLD Scottish, barely understood a word) and we all toasted.  Haggis is okay...it reminded of me of Norwegian meatcakes, BUT haggis is mushy...still, it was fun to try it.  And the party was really fun.  Other poems were read, they had bagpipe music playing the background, and the people were interesting and friendly.  Papabear is now nursing a hangover, but, if you know me at all, you know that whiskey (and drinking in general) just isn't my bag.  So, naturally, I am up, bright and early, hanging out with Littleman on the couch watching PBS kids.

So, those of you on facebook saw I had a run in with the law.  It really wasn't a big deal.  I was pulled over last Sunday on my way to Nico's second birthday party.  I *thought* it was because I was jabbering away on my cell phone.  The officer walks up and says the usual, "License and insurance." (Not registration here in Texas.)  As I dig for the information, I asked why I was pulled over: "Ma'am, your inspection sticker expired in November." Ack.  Indeed it had.  Long story short, with my flustered antics I managed to not get a ticket - however, I promised the officer I would get the car inspected right after the birthday party I was attending (I had birthday presents strewn all over my front seat). Alas, I was so tired after the party, I went straight home..and the next day, Monday, I got that stomach bug.  By Tuesday I had completely forgotten about it...but by Wednesday morning I was in fear of driving into those officers again, so I promptly got my car inspected first thing. So, I am no longer in trouble with the law. (For now!)

In other news, Papabear's mom had sinus surgery on Thursday and she's recovering very well from that. 

We have started packing up our house.  We do a first walk through with the builder on Friday, then they get to fix what we are not happy with, then there's the final walk through, and then...well, I guess you know the rest.  We should be moving the weekend of February 20.  I am very excited about having our own space again.  Renting is so...well, after owning a home, renting really feels like such a step backwards.  The house we're buying is really roomy...we'll actually have a real guest room (NOT Papabear's office with a futon anymore), so feel free to visit.  The neighborhood has an amazing amenity center - it's a private waterpark, basically.  Should be fun.  I'll keep you posted on our purchasing progress.  I feel like it's a little early to post pictures...sort of like saying a baby's name before it's born. (Well, that's how Papabear and I felt with Littleman...for the most part).

I am sad to report that I am not feeling super healthy these days.  Every since the stomach thing last week, I've wanted to eat nothing but bread, rice, and potatoes.  Not exactly great choices for someone who needs to focus on cholesterol and all that nonsense.  OH and I had a HUGE transgression...I was in the candy aisle, (a place I NEVER venture) buying Reese's pieces for Papabear's birthday sundae, and I saw Twizzler Nibs...and I caved.  I don't usually eat licorice, it was my mom's favorite when Chuckie and I were little.  Still, when I opened that bag and placed the first Nib in my mouth, I was five years old.  My mom used to buy licorice at the candy kiosk at the Staten Island mall.  I could hear the crackle of the paper bag they sold it in.  I could remember watching my mother's fingers dig around the bag for the red ones (she liked the black), feeling the anticipation, and then that delicious Red #40 killing my chances at a cavity free childhood (totally worth it, by the way).  Mmmmm.  I ate almost the whole bag...I shared some with Littleman...but still, I am not proud of that.  (Did, however enjoy the unexpected flashback.)

I'll end with this - I am feeling happy these days and I am pretty confident Papabear is getting happier.  I know the whole house-buying thing is keeping him busy in a way that makes him feel purposeful and content.  (Renting really bugged him.)  I still miss people on a daily basis...but I guess we all have to live with that, right?  Who's reading this right now that doesn't have someone they miss?  Whether it be a parent or friend who lives a few states away, or someone that just isn't with us anymore?  That doesn't make the missing feel any better...but not feeling alone in my missing does feel a tiny bit better. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment