Saturday, January 31, 2009

Inherit

We inherit a lot of things from our family.  From my mom and my mormor I have inherited a strong dislike for a "change in plans."  I also inherited from them the ability to go with the flow and make the best with whatever life throws at us, but I can tell you, that we three women do not like it when our plans go awry.  I've noticed that as my mom and I get older we get much better at accepting change - I can verify that my mom has well surpassed me...but she's got some twenty years on me.

This house business is so frustrating.  I have spent the last three weeks imagining where the furniture will go, making arrangements with our landlord to move out, mapping out routes to the grocery store and the gym....so, as you can see, I am very disappointed and frustrated.  Papabear and the realtor found this other house.  It's great...it's just not what I planned...so it's frustrating me to no end.  Closings here happen so fast that I'm not too worried about that - we'll still be out of here in a month or so...ug, I am just trying to fight my inherited nonsense feelings.  I wish I could just be over it and rejoicing in the nicer house Papabear found.

Something I inherited from my dad is a lead foot.  I was pulled over AGAIN, two days ago for speeding.  It was one of those situations where I was completely phased out, not thinking about driving and I looked to my right and there was a cop, right in the median with the speed gun.  I pulled over and had my license and insurance out before he even got his lights on.  Last week when I was pulled over for the inspection sticker, I believe my flustered rambling about female issues helped persuade the officer to let me go.  This time, when I looked in my mirror as the officer stepped out of the car - I swear he was an Adonis, a gorgeous greek god.  That is the worst, because for a person like me, I end up just sputtering and saying the dumbest things.  I am not cool and I completely lack tact...so I braced myself for the worst.  I apologized for not paying attention and just hung my head.  He went back to his car and was there for so long I had time to call Littlelman's preschool and tell them I would be late because I was in the process of getting a ticket.

The god...I mean officer returned with a kind of notepad for me to sign.  He gave me a written warning (something I have never received before so I had to ask him to explain).  He said, "No more speeding and we'll call it even, okay, Ma'am?"  OKAY.  I haven't had a speeding ticket in over five years...I am trying to keep it that way.  OH, I was doing 58 in a 45 - in case you were curious.  Many parts of that road are 55...just not that particular part.

Well, I'm off to continue packing...hoping we'll be moving a few weeks...as always I'll keep you posted.  Oh, one last thing.  You know how sometimes your child can disappear in your own home?  That happened the other day.  I'm walking all over our house calling for Littleman.  He's not in all the usual places.  This is where and exactly how I found him:

Standing on the toilet,looking out the window, with sunglasses on!  The kid never ceases to amaze. (And he has clearly inherited his parents tendencies to be goofy.)

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. Have you even had a chance to put an offer on the new house? And you're packing? See, even in all of this you still are the most positive and optimistic person I have ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, what you don't realize is that there are about 4000 (literally) houses for sale and you can close in as little as three weeks. Plus, we told the landlord we'd be out by Feb. 28 - so, have to pack, no matter what. :)

    ReplyDelete