Thursday, January 1, 2009

A new year...

Man, 2008 was a doosie for us...at the party we attended last night, which was very small, some one went around and asked, "What was the best thing for you in 2008?" 

As it turns out, I was putting pj's on Littleman when the questioning began, so I missed Papabear's answer...or if he answered at all.  When I returned to the crowd, I could see he was making the "holding back tears" face.  I'm sure no one else noticed...nor were they thinking about what an awful year this had been for him when they began the conversation.

I can't say it was my favorite year, either.  However, my response was gratitude for finding this small niche of friends.  I really, truly feel so lucky that I found four women that I can be myself around.  I'm also grateful (although I did not say this aloud) that they have husbands that my husband gets along with/shares interests, etc.  None of them are musicians, but they are a good group of guys, easy to be around, and most importantly, LOVE a quality beer.  It is SO hard for Papabear to make friends.  It took him forever when we lived in NY...and I know he misses those guys painfully.  I am glad, though, that that we found some people he can have some guy time with.

So Littleman stayed up until midnight!!!  I just can't believe it.  I NEVER thought I'd be hearing my THREE year old say, "Happy New Year, mommy."  By ten o'clock he and his little buddy could barely keep their eyes open, as they sat huddled in a chair under a big blanket as we set off fireworks.  Then the cops showed up!  That was fun, everyone was drunk except me and the little ones.  Turns out fireworks are illegal in that town - luckily we had already blown up the really good ones, also it was about 40 degrees and we were freezing. 

We got home at 1 am.  Littleman was up at 7:30!!!!!  In my sleep I shuffled out to the living room and put on Wall-E, 98 minutes later, I shuffled out again and put on Curious George.  I love that Littleman is at that age where he can get a drinkable yogurt from the fridge, a banana from the fruit bowl, and dry cereal out of the pantry all by himself.  Yes, I feel a little guilty letting him watch nearly FOUR hours of television this morning, but staying up after midnight is just not my bag anymore!  He went in for an early nap over an hour ago.  It's a beautiful day, so I suspect we'll spend the new year's first afternoon at the park.

Speaking of the new year, I am not doing that whole resolution thing.  I've already begun my mission to eat better, live healthier, and try, against all genetic odds to lower my cholesterol.  This is going to be a big year - I plan on having a baby this year, my best friend is having a baby this year, Papabear's best friend, Z, is getting married, two of my siblings, Lauren and AJ, are graduating from high school and will start college in the fall, we are probably going to buy a house...just that is a mouthful and I know there will be more.  As always, I am excited for what adventures lay ahead of us.

Happy New Year, every one!

 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment