Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Exercising

is a funny thing.  In an ideal world...well, in MY ideal world, I'd get my exercise milking the cows in the morning, sweating in the kitchen preparing hearty meals, and hiking up and down mountains with a baby strapped to my back picking blueberries and the like.  Not exactly feasible in the world...or area I live in today.  Currently, to stay fit, I hop, jump, spin, and "scissor" over a step to ludicrously loud pop music.  Or, sometimes I swim fifty or sixty lengths in the over-chlorinated pool (much more soothing but dreadfully boring).  Either way, both seem utterly unnatural. 

As I sweat buckets in the noisy studio, I look around and see that I am exercising with a number of Barbie dolls.  These "dolls" have showered and applied make up BEFORE class.  And, amazingly, nothing on them jiggles or bounces.  It's as if their boobs (which are often giant) are made of steel...but I suspect something else is keeping them...er...erect.  I am also bouncing around next to a couple of anorexics who have two or THREE risers on their step and add EXTRA spins and hops whenever they can.  They scare me...especially the eight month pregnant one - yeah, seriously.  She never exercises with less than two risers, her bones stick out every where, and there's a basketball sticking out under her spandex.  Scary.  And, totally unnatural. 

But, the gym and it's classes are the only way I will ever stay fit.  At least for now.  One day... perhaps I will live in or near the mountains again.  (And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  I love my two hours of sweat and such in the morning...I think my soul just craves something else....)

In other news, this morning I hosted a "pancake breakfast."  I had fifteen people over...sixteen if you include the 10 week old, but she slept in her carrier the entire time.  Seven moms, the rest kiddos.  Surprisingly, the pancake part was pretty easy.  I had prepped the kitchen the night before, so all I had to do was make the pancakes.  All the moms pitched in with the serving and extra goodies.  BUT, inevitably, all that syrup or excitement worked it's way into the children.  Things ran smoothly for about the first hour or so, then, as one mom cleverly put it, "the wheels have begun to come off."  By the end, each mom was scurrying out of the house with a screaming toddler or preschooler or both!  Well, some playdates go off without a hitch, like yesterday's "L is for Lions and Llamas," and others just fall apart at the seams.  In the end, everyone had a good time...and even though it took me an hour to clean up afterwards (mopping the floor for the second time this week!), it was worth the conversation and Littleman's (so far) hour nap!!!!

And finally, Littleman had his third year check up yesterday.  He's exactly three feet tall and 28 pounds.  He is in the 13th percentile for both height and weight.  The doctor said that although he is on the short side, he's perfectly porportionate.  Lovely.  Also, she made a note that he might be color blind.  He kept switching his greens and reds and he was acting uncharacteristically shy and sometimes not answering at all.  She told me to google "colorblind tests" and do an informal check.  After doing so, I am about 99% sure Littleman is NOT color blind and was just yanking our chains.  Silly little goose.

Well, I tried to upload some pics of my pancake and lion adventures, but alas, the internet is not agreeing with me today.  Sorry for all the text...

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment