Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Smelling like fish

is never a good thing. 

On Tuesday mornings I babysit two very sweet children for a few hours.  They moved here (with their parents, of course) from England around the same time we moved here.  Anyway, for lunch their "mum" left some bagels, avocado (to be spread on the bagels), and a can of sardines.  Both children wolfed down their lunches, along with some cantelope and blueberries I had brought along.  (Littleman wolfed down his PB&J and didn't look twice at the sardines.)  I truly admire their tastebuds.  These two little wonders also eat pickled onions, tuna salad made with peas and tomato sauce, and hot peppers!  If only I had been more creative in my offerings to Littleman...

Anywho, I was very careful to not touch the sardines, using a fork to serve them.  I was also careful about wiping up the kiddies afterwards...but somehow that little 18 month old thwarted me!  As I left I could smell sardine on me.  My hands were scrubbed, but alas the smell was lurking somewhere else on my being.  When we leave this particular house on Tuesdays, if Littleman has been good, he is rewarded with 45 minutes at a McDonald's playland before his nap.  SO, I sat in McDonalds, TRYING desparately to write in my journal, but unfortunately sniffing my entire upper body until I located the spot on my shirt where the little guy must have clung before he was adequately cleaned.  After numerous attempts with wipes, I still reeked of fish until after 3:15 when Littleman FINALLY fell asleep for his nap and I could jump into the shower. (Yeah, yeah, it's going to be a late night - MIL is coming over for dinner, so I guess that will work out fine.)

Although it was mere two hours of smelling like pickled sardines...they felt like a small eternity.  Come on, people - you know how I am about smells!!!!!!  Hey, at least it wasn't spilled milk or worse, YOGURT!  ACK!  Can't even think about it....

A few more tidbits:

I can confirm that I will never be the mother of more than two.  Of course, now that I have typed that, I am certain I will be blessed with twins or that accidental "third" child someday down the line.  Watching three kiddies on Tuesday mornings, for a mere four hours is like being part of a three ring circus.  My head spins.  Okay...granted, if I had three they would not all be toddlers/preschoolers at the same time, still...it's A LOT to keep organized in ones head.  Don't get me wrong, I could do it.  But do it well??? Hmmm...let's just see how I fare with two.

Speaking of the #2 - I am sure you are all wondering how my little secret/vow is going.  Well, not but two days after I posted that blog, Papabear opens up a dialogue about "our family's future."  I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep my excitement at bay.  He let on that he knows #2 arrival is imminent and he is making mental plans for it.  I said I will continue to not talk/stress about it...until September, when my birth control prescription runs out and I don't plan on refilling.  So there's that.

And finally, I am getting babysitting jobs left and right!!!!  It's pretty awesome.  I signed Littleman up for preschool (two days a week, for 2.5 hours, starting in September) and the director came out (overheard me chatting up the secretary, go figure!) and asked me for my resume!!!  We are going to try and work something out where I'd work when Liam's in school (different class, of course).  I'd get paid and half off the tuition...I'll let you know how that works out.

Finally, and MOST importantly - I should have posted this FIRST - the smell of fish overpowered me.  My dear, dear friend, SH, had a little boy, CFH, on Friday, July 18.  6 pounds 11 oz.  Healthy and happy are mom, dad, and baby.  It kills me to be so far away - she was right there when I had Littleman and really supported me when Papabear was away at school.  I am finding it difficult to not call her every five minutes to see how it's going.  (Don't worry, I've only called her twice since Friday....)  Anyway, I'm so happy for her and her family...and I will see her next week when I go to NY...but it won't be the same...ug.  (Not to mention, her having her baby has done NOTHING to quell my "baby-on-the-brain" syndrome....)

Nap time is abruptly over. :( Off I go.... 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment