Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cabin-ing in the Texas wilderness

Over the weekend we and a family we're friends with enjoyed a cabin in Cooper Lake state park.

Littleman had been looking forward to this "camping" trip for months.  We

went with one of his best little buddies out here and spent the entire time playing and getting dirty.  What more could three year old boys ask for?  OH, marshmallows - and they did not stop asking!  The cabins reminded me of the really nice hostels in Norway.  Simple, clean and surrounded by woods.  Okay, our cabin was also surrounded by POISON IVY!!!  But I wore long pants almost the entire time and my friend went around plucking out all suspicious plants with plastic bags wrapped around her arms.  And here is 

some real irony, after nearly two weeks of miserable, itchy pain, I felt the best througout our weekend in the woods!  Granted, I had a ton of steroids and all sorts of drugs pumping

through me.  We had a great time.  When we returned some friends who are not from Texas asked if it was "beautiful."  I am sad to report that, no, it was not beautiful - it was nice.  There were trees and a man made lake, but it just wasn't beautiful.  Did I feel like I got away and spent some quality time outdoors with my family? Absolutely.  Did we breathe fresh air, make camp fires, sing aloud, and not see a strip mall or a Super Target for nearly 48 hours? YES, YES, YES.

Before I insert all the lovely pics, I have two things to report: First: I received an email from my editor - they want to publish another one of my ideas!!!!  YAY!  However, as the company is in the process of being "acquired" it will "be a while."  SO, that translates to anytime within the next two years.  Still, I am pretty psyched about it.  They want to publish "the cubes" - one of my favorite games.  (If you don't know what the cubes are and you really, really want to, I'll email you a diagram Papabear made for the publishers- I'm too tired to explain at the moment.)

Second, the last picture will be of my poison ivy-ed forearm.  I took it as we were driving home from the cabin on Sunday.  It's gross, so if you don't want to see it, stop scrolling when I give you the warning.  And I just want to say, it was WAY WAY grosser than what I photographed on Sunday, not to mention ALL OVER my legs and upper arms. I am just giving you a teeny tiny peek for those of you who are "grossly" curious.  Every day it is getting better, I am happy to say. (Sad to say, I am back at work.  Tomorrow I am telling them that Nov. 6 is my final day....I hope that goes over well.  The directors are in Africa until Nov. 3, but they knew this was coming.  I gave them a month for crying out loud.  Somebody please send me a backbone...)

Okay, the pictures -

Here's Littleman climbing on Demitri's dad, Fred.  He pretty much spent the weekend climbing all over this man.

Here Littleman has caught a frog in the lake.  You'll notice the giant cement wall in the water - that's to make the swimming area less choppy from all that Texas wind.  It is extremely unsightly and definitely took away from the beauty of the area. (It was too cold to swim, btw.  However, that didn't stop Littleman from running around in his undies.)

 

Littleman in the morning in his "camping" shirt.

The next series of photos I took on the ride home.  We passed a FEMA truck...for some reason I thought I should take a photo of that.  I also tried to capture how endlessly flat it is here.  I don't think my little camera does the job.  And, there is cattle everywhere.  OH, at one point, I heard Littleman making his dinosaurs kiss, so I caught that, as well.

 

 

 

 

 

STOP HERE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOK AT A GROSS, SCARRED, POISON-IVY INFECTED FOREARM.

 

 

 

 

I know, I need to go out and buy some Vitamin E...ew.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

No comments:

Post a Comment