Thursday, August 27, 2009

Angels all around...

He's here, our LittleGuy is finally here.

A perfect little angel, just like his big brother. :)  Just a few hours old...I'm not sure where to begin - I have started this blog entry probably half a dozen times and every time the computer has froze or something interrupted and now LittleGuy is over a week old!  Well, I suppose I can start at the beginning.

LittleGuy was born on Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 7:43am.  He weighed 7lbs., 12 oz., and is 19 inches long.  He screamed a bit when he came out, calmed down fairly quickly, and promptly pee-peed on the nurse.  My OB was done with the entire c-section in less than an hour...I actually think it was around 26 minutes - I am not sure if he's going for a record or something - his team was the most effecient group of people I have ever seen.

That said, I am fairly certain I will never have children again.  Walking into the OR (as opposed to being rushed in at Littleman's birth) was absolutely, undoubtedly, the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced.  I am also pretty sure that I would find natural birth, if I could go that route, just as terrifying.  I think I'm good with two.  I am a wimp, really.

I recovered very quickly.  I may be a wimp, but I'm strong.  I refused the multiple offers for epidurals, choosing just the spinal block and then pain killers.  I was discharged after just two days.  I honestly don't know how I am healing from surgery so quickly - I only took one of the pain killers b/c it made the baby so sleepy he wouldn't nurse.  So, I've been home for exactly a week and here are some things I'd like to share about the angels in my life.

I would NEVER EVER have survived any of this had it not been for my mother.  She was amazing.  She, along with my sister, Lauren (who I am also eternally grateful to for all of her help), entertained, loved, spoiled, bathed, and comforted my Littleman.  Littleman has been adjusting very well to his little brother and I am certain some of that has to do with the fact that he was so well tended to while I was in the hospital.  When I came home, my mom made sure we had food, dinner, clean sheets, nursing shirts for me, activities for Littleman, you name it.  She pulled out all the stops and I cried like a little girl when she left for the airport on Sunday.  She was everything I needed her to be and I will forever be grateful to her for being with me and my family during this time.

My brother, Chuckie, drove here to stay with us for over a week.  He was on tour and has sidetracked a bit to help us out.  He did this when Littleman was born too, as, like now, Papabear had to work.  My brother is the best person to have around.  He is so calm and sweet natured.  He'll do anything I ask him and he loves Littleman.  I can't ask for a better combination.

Everyone has been so amazing.  My friends have come out in droves and showered us in home cooked meals, flowers, balloons, sweets, and offers to take Littleman for afternoons of play. Even my neighbors, who I don't even know all that well, have been calling and bringing over dinners!  It's helped so much.  I'm not quite ready to cook yet.

SO, if you were wondering, the breastfeeding seems to be working.  I had a two hour consultation with a lactation nurse and she really helped me a lot.  I do have to use nipple sheilds, which is kind of a drag - but hey, it's working.  LittleGuy gained 7 ounces over the weekend and is "eliminating" like a champ, so no formula for us!  I am really happy this is working out.  And I don't think it would have been as easy if I didn't have help from a certain BF back east who does not mind answering every single one of my questions.

I've lost 21 of the 24 pounds I gained in just 9 days.  You can't tell by looking at me, though.  The 20 extra pounds I had before I got pregnant have turned to mush and it's all on my belly. Nasty, I tell you.  In a few weeks I am sure I'll get the green light to excercise, and hopefully it won't be so hot out here.  I have big plans for my weight loss...hope to live up to them.

Well, I think that's all for now.  I have more pictures to upload, but vox is acting all funny and won't let me.  There are a bunch on Facebook, though.

 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, I've been waiting for this post! He is beautiful, and I'm so glad you had such a good experience (considering it involved giving birth). It's great to have that support and help- it really makes a huge difference! Soak it up and focus on enjoying your boys! Congratulations again!!

    ReplyDelete