Thursday, April 9, 2009

My big little boy

Littleman is getting so big.  Yesterday he started a new preschool.  It's the school he'll be attending in September, but I didn't want him to start a brand new school after getting a brand new sibling.  SO, I pulled him out of the place he loved dearly so he could get acclimated.  It's amazing how the strings of my heart were tugged.  I felt guilty and anxious - but for what?  Over and over, throughout my journey as mommy, it amazes me how events that will ultimately barely register as blips on the radar seem monumental at the moment.  It's easier now to step back, but I think it took me the past three and a half years to do so...which has me wondering what things will be like for my little belly buddy.  (Is this why first borns are so anal and the younger siblings so much more mellow?)

Anyway, our little boy is getting so big.  We've upgraded him to the big boy booster seat - apparently after 30 pounds and three years of age they can go in one (this was very recent news for me).  The sooner he can buckle his own seat belt the better!  He is such a big helper - he opens and holds doors for me, can get himself a drink and snack from the fridge on his own, and make it through a first day at a big new school with only a few tears. (The new teachers told me he had a super day, but 30 min. into rest/nap time he started to cry and say he missed mommy.  I'm sure he'll get used to that down time quickly.  The program is from  9 to 2, before he was only going from 12 to 2:30, so the longer day is an adjustment for him.)

At the beach, Littleman had no fear - he kept walking further and further out into the ocean.  I can't take my eyes off him.  As nice as it was when he was sand-bound, I love that he's not afraid to run, splash, and ride the waves with his mom and friends.  I LOVED the beach at that age and I am so happy that he does too.  I still love the beach, but it's so different when you are fearless and little.

Well, I really am just blathering.  I just can't believe how big my little boy is.  I'm glad he's still little enough to want to be cuddled and sang to (the singing only at bedtime).  I love that he still smells delicious and wakes up as warm as a cinnamon roll coming out of the oven.  Mmmm...cinnamon rolls...I think I'll go have breakfast.

I am missing one of my favorite gym classes this morning because the garage doors need to be fixed - they are still under warranty, which is good, however, the guys come "between 8 and 12," which stinks. There goes my day.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. Do you have him in the booster seat with the back? They can't be in a backless one until 4 & 40 pounds. I bought one with a back that converts to backless since my 4 1/2 year old is still less than 40 pounds. He's not in it yet... I'm waiting until we get the infant seat in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's got a back. My dude is still only 31 pounds.

    ReplyDelete