Saturday, July 25, 2009

Learning to fly

The little birdies in the nest outside my window are not so little anymore.  They have begun to perch themselves on the edge of the nest and practice flapping their wings!  It is amazing to watch.  Mama bird stays close and keeps them in sight when they do this.  Did I mention that they also taught themselves to back their bird butts up to the edge of the nest so that they poop on my porch and not where they sleep?  Clever little things.

 

Here's a pic of Littleman with the paper chain we made to count down the days until his brother arrives.  This is no ordinary paper chain, though.  Many of the "rings" have stickers or notes on them.  Such as, each day next week has a dinosaur sticker b/c Littleman is attending a dinosaur art camp.  There are cakes for people's birthdays, balloons for the day my mom arrives, things like that.  I am a nerd, I know.

Yeah, I know what you are thinking.  Either: "Man, that kid has such a great smile." OR "Hmm...25 days really doesn't look like much on a paper chain."  I thought both.

I put this next pic up on Facebook, but wanted to make sure is secured a spot here, too.  This is my favorite maternity t-shirt.  My friend, Gretchen, standing behind me, made it. (She actually made it for herself when her daughter was due in August four years ago.  Alas, her little angel arrived in late July, so she didn't get to wear it too often. She very generously passed the shirt along to me.)  When I wear this shirt it is like I am a rock star.  You wouldn't believe how many people comment on it!

I have to say, my teeth look fabulous in this shot.  Don't they?

In other news, you can imagine the excitement brewing at our house.  Littleman has been giving his stuffed animals "rides" on the baby swing.  Sometime a line forms - he'll have about ten waiting for a turn.  It's pretty funny.  Instead of cleaning all the parts of the vacuum cleaner, I have been busy preparing for breastfeeding.  I am wearing "shells" most hours of the day when I am home (Littleman does not like them and makes me take them out when we hug).  I bought something called "Latch Assist" made by Lansinoh.  Let's just say it's a kind of "extractor."  I am trying to NOT be fanatic about the whole thing, but if there is anything I can do to make breastfeeding a more positive and successful experience this time around, I'm doing it.

I am pretty beat by about 2 pm every day.  The couch and my bed beckon and call in their most seductive voices.  I have to resist with all my might.  If I give in I KNOW I will fall asleep and then I am certain I will be up all night.  I think night time insomnia is worse than feeling very tired in the afternoon.  I need to be perky in the morning.  Not sure how long that will last.....

I'm pretty uncomfortable and large, but otherwise, chugging along.  On Monday I will attend my last step aerobics class.  "Last" for a couple of reasons - one, I really can't be doing that kind of high impact exercise anymore.  I look ridiculous and it's kind of dangerous.  Second, our gym membership will be put on hold as of August 1.  I'll admit, I cried a little when we decided to do this.  I love my gym...it has often been my salvation since we moved here.  BUT, it is very expensive and you can't bring babies there until they are 3 months old.  Plus, I can't really exercise for at least six to eight weeks after the c-section.  I have already added walking into my weekly routine, and when Littleman starts preschool in September, I will be walking even more regularly.  I am going to scour the earth/internet for exercise videos and really try to teach myself how to be fit and healthy without an expensive gym membership.  Wish me luck...and if you have exercise dvd's you don't use anymore, feel free to send them my way. :)

Today I wanted to eat bagels, a cheeseburger, fries, chocolate chip cookies, AND a couple of oreos.  Instead I had lowfat cheese and turkey on a high fiber whole grain wrap and some grapes.  Was I satisfied?  I guess.  I'm not hungry...just thinking about food I can't and shouldn't have. Pathetic. 

Well, happy Saturday, all. 

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

1 comment:

  1. Oh...the food daydreaming!! I thought it was just obsessed me that relied on that! I have no room or appetite left for dinner at the end of the day (also, fear of a night full of heartburn is a strong deterrent), so I just imagine what I would eat if I only had the space!

    ReplyDelete