Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Holy Apple Pie

Making apple pie for Thanksgiving is kind of a religious affair for me.  It's sacred.  As I rolled out the crust this afternoon, I was channeling my mother - all the years I watched her bake, her instinct and experience.  Apple pie is Papabear's favorite dessert and I always want it to be perfect.  I have never been 100% happy with my pies - the crust just doesn't look right or there's too much liquid or the apple combination wasn't sweet enough.... While I peel and cut and mix sugar with cinnamon, I am striving for perfection and it truly feels like a holy experience.  And while my definition of perfection may never be achieved, every pie is delicious.

One could pull out some heavy metaphors here, but really, I just love baking apple pie and Thanksgiving is sort of the apple pie "showcase" day.  I hope every one has a filling and yummy day surrounded by loved ones.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

3 comments:

  1. Anything can be a spiritual experience if it touches us the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true... I just wanted to share a tip, though, which has made me much happier with my own apple pies recently... Add about 1/4 cup flour to the apple mixture before pouring it into the shell... It doesn't change the flavor at all, and the inside of the pie is much less runny! Happy Thanksgiving...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bee. I"ve been cooking the apples on the stove to get rid of some of that liquid. It's a pain...I'll try the flour next time. :)

    ReplyDelete